Making SAA a Safer Space
Swing Ann Arbor is dedicated to fostering a safe and comfortable social and dance experience for everyone. This includes encouraging conscientious connection with dance partners, careful floor craft, and keeping our spaces harassment-free. All attendees, organizers, volunteers, and staff at our events are required to comply with our Code of Conduct. Everyone has the right to feel respected and safe. We expect cooperation from everyone to help ensure a great experience for everybody.
Unofficially, there are some things that YOU can do to keep our spaces safe and comfy:
- Take responsibility for your own behavior. If someone indicates (verbally or non-verbally) that you’re making them uncomfortable please examine your behavior, apologize to that person, and work to change.
- Take the time to educate yourself about words and behaviors that can be harmful. Avoid these. If you’re unsure about something, it’s wisest to avoid saying/or doing it.
- Consider what kind of environment is likely to be positive and fun for everyone – and help us to create it by keeping our spaces safe!.
Concerned about something?
We’d like to introduce you to our wonderful Safer Spaces Coordinator, Laura Crouch! (see right). If you have any suggestions or concerns regarding SAA’s Safer Spaces policies, please get in contact with her.
If you observe or experience a situation that threatens the safety of our spaces, please inform SAA through one of the following methods:
– Reach out to Laura (see right) in person or email her at email@example.com
– Reach out to any member of the SAA board or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All reported incidents and concerns will be handled with respect and confidentiality.
Swing Ann Arbor’s Code of Conduct
Swing Ann Arbor is dedicated to fostering a safe and comfortable event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, race, or belief practices. We do not tolerate harassment in any form. Intimidation, stalking, offensive or sexual language and imagery in social situations is not appropriate for any Swing Ann Arbor venue, including dances, lessons, Facebook, and other social media. Additionally, the physical safety of our attendees is of great importance, and Swing Ann Arbor does not tolerate any potentially unsafe behaviors. Event participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the organizers.
–Policy inspired by the organizers of Lindy Hop St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A., & Boston Swing Central, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A.